As the Omicron variant rises in cases, although it seems to be less likely to have severe effects, the sheer number of cases means a rise still in the hospital counts.
As such, the Ontario government has introduced restrictions in place for 21 days to start January 5th at 12:01am.
- Schools will move to online learning from January 5 - 17.
- Indoor dining will be closed (outdoor dining can continue with closure at 11pm and alcohol to stop being served at 10pm)
- Social gatherings reduced to 5 people indoors, 10 outdoors
- Retail stores and personal care limited to 50% capacity
- Employees must work remotely unless work requires on-site
- Gyms and indoor recreational sport facilities are closed
- Outdoor facilities permitted with 50% capacity
- Museums, galleries, etc... are closed
- Indoor meeting and event spaces are closed
To facilitate this closure the province has increased the rebate program to 100% for businesses that are affected to be closed (vs. those that can operate with reduced capacity).